Adam asked me for a video of the rev counter ‘dancing’… So:
Long story short, I timed the cams up to the figures from Piper as i’ve done every other set of cams without problem…
Turns out that because Adams inlet pulley had been off the car for so long, all the oil had drained out of it.
I’d assumed that the pulley was still ‘charged’ with oil as it was stiff and didn’t move easily within itself, it turns out it wasn’t.
There was a fault with the VVT output on the new ECU which when we got on the rollers we identified and the supplier swapped to a new ECU, VVT output worked, fired the solenoid and the pulley refilled…
Valves unfortunately clipped the pistons 🙁 I took the head off and brought it home with me (5 hours on a train with it in my suitcase!) – it’s now in the machine shop and will be picked up tomorrow and refitted Thursday!