Whilst I avoided any collision, I realised I needed better brakes. Rather than just replace the old ones I went for some black diamond cross drilled & vented “””racing””” discs. Better brakes are always a good thing and at the same price as the Peugeot parts the decision was a no brainer. At around the same time the wheels were treated to Yokohama rubber which sorted the car’s eagerness to lock the wheels under braking.
With the brakes and tyres sorted it was more apparent that the car’s old suspension (it had covered 120,000 miles at this point!) was in need of TLC. The car would wobble a bit over bumps which isn’t a nice feeling at motorway speeds. Again, uprated parts worked out cheaper than Peugeot originals so I ended up with an Eibach lowering kit. The rear torsion beam provided all sorts of problems so I ended up replacing/upgrading various other bits and bobs to get this fixed. I did put this off for ages but the car looked like a tractor being 90mm lower at the front than at the rear!
Running a fairly decent suspension, brake and tyre combination I began to realise why motoring enthusiasts raved about the 306 in the early 1990s. Sadly, I didn’t have enough power to make use of the grip levels and fairly decent handling. I say “fairly decent” as a meaty 12 inch sub and 1000W amp had found their way into the boot during a summer job at Halfords. Given a set of golf clubs was also a full time resident of my boot space, there was a large amount of weight over the back wheels, which could make things a little lively from time to time.
I stumbled across someone called the Derv Doctor online and after reading numerous positive reviews decided to give him a call. Skip forward two weeks and I’m “testing” my 306 as it goes through various stages of tuning. The 306 is manually fuelled so this is nothing more than turning a screw on the turbo and making appropriate adjustments (with another screw) to the fuelling. At one point she was running 46psi of boost – happy days. Sadly, this resulted in smoking like a 1930s locomotive and we ended up on a compromise at around 32psi. The car was never rolling road tested but was easily as fast as my previous beast, a 2001 Ford Fiesta Zetec-S running 137 bhp on an insane set of Piper 290 lift race spec cams 🙂