Down to business – the SEO experiements….
Test #1 – using key words in sub-domains
The #1 spot on Google is occupied adamarnold.co.uk, which has only one page indexed! I’m therefore assuming a huge amount of weight is attributed to the fact ‘adam arnold’ appears in the domain name. As it is relatively easy to do, I have decided to test whether or not the addition of ‘adam arnold’ via a subdomain to smartergroup.biz has any benefit.
03 Apr: adam-arnold.smartergroup.biz and adamarnold.smartergroup.biz are now indexed on Google
03 Apr: no trace of either domain in SERPs for ‘adam arnold’ searches
Test #2 – using sub-domain redirects
03 Apr: updated .htaccess on adam-arnold.smartergroup.biz and adamarnold.smartergroup.biz with
the following line of code:
Redirect /index.html http://ceo.smartergroup.biz
06 Apr: I’m going to chalk this one up as a failure! Adding the redirect code resulted in both subdomains being de-indexed by Google. It is possible they have been noted as two further incoming links, but I doubt it.
Test #3 – generating backlinks
Anticipating several additions to the SmarterGroup over the years to come I have acquired quite a portfolio of domain names. With some assistance from Caffeinated Content I have now put the bulk of these domains into use. Using nothing other than my preferred choice of WordPress plugins the sites are now sufficiently optimised to show each company in the #1 spot on Google searches for that name, i.e. searches for ‘SmarterNights’ / ‘Smarter Nights’ pull up www.smarternights.co.uk at the top search position.
Previously, each site contained a footer with a link to that site’s homepage and one back to ceo.smartergroup.biz. The latter will now be changed, ensuring: