1. Register an account at http://www.twitter.com – keep your username short and simple. Upload a nice clear profile picture. Make a pretty background if you wish.
2. Start following by topic at http://www.twollo.com/ – enter what interests you. Twollo will automatically start following people who mention these keywords, and within a couple of days you will notice more and more Tweets appearing when you log-on to Twitter.
3. Every 2 to 3 days flush & reciprocate at http://www.buzzom.com/ – this makes the general admin side of Twitter much faster than if you were to do it manually. As Twitter has numerous following/followers limits, you want to try and keep these two numbers as close together as possible. Therefore, you want to unfollow anyone who doesn’t follow you back, and reciprocate those who have begun following you. There are two obvious caveats here:
- you will want to ignore/block anyone who is spamming or churning out absolute garbage; and
- you can set buzzom to protect any users you don’t wish to remove (i.e. celebrities, who probably won’t be following you back)
I registered @SmarterCEO on 8th April and stumbled upon the sites mentioned in (2) & (3) above by the start of May. I now have more than 12,000 followers and very little spam whenever I load up. I’m happy to say the simple steps above are working for me.